Thursday 1 March 2012


Film: Nine
Have you bought something, put it down in a safe place, and then forgot where you left it for it to never be seen again.

Well this happens to me often, I pretty sure it’s got something to do with the fact that half the content of my wardrobe is on my floor.

I bought Nine on DVD at Christmas, yes Christmas, and I found it this week in my room behind the radiator, don’t ask me how it got there.
Still in its original wrapping I was eager to watch it, providing it still worked.
Nine, directed by Rob Marshall, who also directed Chicago, with an all-star cast with the Judi Dench, Marion Cotillard, Nicole Kidman, Sophia Loren and Daniel Day-Lewis. I was expecting a lot.
The film had qualities of Chicago, which was to be expected, but also reminded me of Moulin Rouge. The sixties style injected with an Italian flare made for great costumes, especially with some of the raunchier numbers, I’m referring to Penelope Cruz’s solo at the beginning of the film.
The plot was very basic; it’s about a struggling director trying to balance his mistress, wife, the press, the public and keep them all happy. Hopefully this isn’t a cry for help from Rob Marshall. Insert a musical number to substitute for an aside and that is general plot of the whole movie.

Although it did not blow my mind with the plot, I really enjoyed the music numbers; they were exciting, passionate and sexy. Combined with a high grade of acting from an all-star cast I would recommend Nine for a light movie choice, perfect for a movie night. Where you aren’t really paying attention to the movie, but you’ll quite down for all the songs in-between drinks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment